Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Gee-Rockah The Chief Boot Knockah aka What's In A Name?

DAILY QUOTES

Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
~Victoria Holt

Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive.
~Thomas C. Haliburton



NaNaNa....Nano
1. Storm Coming ~Gnarls Barkley
2. Cupid ~Sam Cooke
3. Push And Pull ~Nikka Costa
4. Like Glue ~Sean Paul
5. Try Me ~James Brown





Everybody has a nickname, and a story to go along with that nickname. Some stories are funny, some not so much, but for one reason or another the nickname sticks. My nickname stuck and exploded and morphed and so now I will and do respond to almost 20 different names. The origins of nicknames can come about in few different ways, a variation on an existing name, a funny action/story attributed to said nickname haver, or perhaps a physical attribute. For example my friend Buttman got his name because his last name is really Esstman, which in turn sounds like and turned into Assman, the only other natural progression was Buttman or just plain Butt.
One day Buttman and I were bowling with our good friend MD, we may have been intoxicated on one thing or another and bowling Alley keypads suck, so...When Buttman went to type "Shaft" for MD it came out Shab. Buttman and I brought the name home with us, and everyone followed suit and continued to call MD, Shab. If you were to go back to our old college town where Shab still lives, and ask for him by his given name, no one would have a clue. But ask for him by Shab and half the town knows who you are talking about! TD (welcome back from Cyprus and Italy) is a tall fellow so naturally people called him Tree, which then morphed in to Tre. You get the idea.
My nickname has rather anticlimactic origin. Our entire hallway freshman year at college were all going to dinner. We all met up outside our respective rooms, when my friend Damon comes up to me and says w/ a high five "What up Sammy G?" I was a bit confused because my middle name starts with a J, and some old friends growing up would call me Sammy J. SO I says: Sammy G??? What's the G for? Damon says: You know GANGSTA!!!
Oooookay, hmmmm, I'm no G-Locster, Thug or Crip or Blood, (Not yet anyways) so it was a little out of place. But it stuck!!!! And morphed.
Some variations:
Sammy Gee
Sammy Gee (with a hard g, like geek w/out the k)
Sammy Geeeee..k
Gee, or Gee (hard g)
(In fact all Gee variations can be said w/ hard or soft g's)
(My last name has "rock" at the end so...)
Gee-rockah
Gee-Rockah Chief Boot Knockah
Geerock
Gee-Bone
Gee-Boner

As well my first name is Samuel so I also got these:
Samuel L Jackson
El
El-Bone
Elbow
Jackson
The list goes on and on. I love my nickname, and people that know me almost always use my nickname. Funny story: At my one arrest (charges dropped) when I was booked they asked me if I had any aliases, and kind of as a personal joke I told them L-Bone. Now I have a legit alias.

1 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger Aparna said...

i love nicks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home