Thursday, August 24, 2006

Breakin' VS Krumpin'


DAILY QUOTES

We go where our vision is.
~Joseph Murphy

Love and stoplights can be cruel.
~Sesame Street

BENJIE'S HOTTIE CORNER PRESENTS:

VANESSA MARCIL


The other day as I was scrolling through my OnDemand movies, I came across this little gem. Breakin' VS Krumpin. We all know breakin'/break dancing by now, and with the recent success of the movie Rize many of you know what krumpin' is. This movie puts the two dance form a head to head in a good old fashioned hip-hop dance battle. The movie was narrated by the unexpected Todd Bridges, and co-hosted by Shabadoo. Most people know Todd Bridges as WILLIS and perhaps as a bank robbing coke head, but he was actually very intelligent and enjoyable in this movie. or those that do not know Shabadoo, he appeared in the Breakin' and Breakin' 2 The Electric Boogaloo movies and is recognized as one of the pioneers of break dancing. I have not seen RIZE yet, but was fascinated with Krumpin' so I decided to give the movie a shot, with he added bonus of a battle between these different dance styles I knew I would enjoy it. I will not give a way the winner, because you should see for yourself. But I was completely impressed and enthralled by the Krumpin'. The raw energy, emotion alone were enough to intrigue me. I could understand through dance the plight, strife, hardship and anger these young men from Compton had experienced in their lives. The same emotions and anger that attracted me to hip-hop music. One of my very first tapes (yes tapes) was Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet, which I made my middle aged Jewish father from Brooklyn buy for me due to the Parental Advisory Label. It was obvious to me that Krumpin's roots are in Break Dancing, one could even say Break Dancing is the baby daddy, and Krumpin is the illegitimate child. Whatever the relationship the energy and talent on both sides of this battle makes a worth while watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home