Monday, April 16, 2007

Long Overdue

RIP

“If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." —Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a County

This post is long overdue, especially for blog whose title and essence is inspired by the man, and my favorite work oh his: Cat's Cradle. I was first introduced to Vonnegut by my West Coast Portland, Oregon cousin, Tova. She handed me what seemed to be a pamphlet of a book. For what the book lacks in length it is endless in depth, intelligence and sarcasm. I have bought countless copies of Cat's Cradle each time reading the book again, finding more than I did the last time, only to give it away to someone I feel needs it, never to see that particular copy again. I have devoured many of his work but still come back to Bokonon and his musical ridonkulousness. Vonnegut has always been an inspiration in my writing and how I view the world. I don't think I could say much more without losing some sort of poignancy. I think Kurt knows how he has touched people with his work, I am just one of many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home