Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I Love Shtuping

DAILY QUOTES
A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous. ~Ingrid Bergman

I made a lot of mistakes out of the ring, but I never made any in it.
~Jack Johnson

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
~The Dude

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me...Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.
~Walter Sobchak

MY FORTUNE COOKIE TOLD ME
It's not advisable to leap before you look, but that may be all you have time for.

In High Skool I excelled at languages, in fact I was in AP Slang 5 and placed out of language requirements in kollege. Needless to say I am well versed in not only current slang but the history and older less us terms as well. While having a conversation last night with a friend one of my favorite words came up; SCHTUP. I'm not sure what makes me love this word so much beaus I rarely use it, but always take delight in it's usage. Perhaps the Yiddish origins, maybe the onomatopoeia-esque qualities, maybe even the meaning itself. Whatever the reason it's tops on my favorite words list. My grandmother taught me some Yiddish when I was much younger so I'm sure I didn't learn this one from her. Yiddish is a dying language but at the same time has managed to limitedly intertwine itself in American English. Some friends favorite Yiddish words include bubkis (Pop's favorite) goy, shmeckle, shvitz and keynahore. (See the Dictionary for definitions) To me they're all good, and luckily I have a genealogical advantage when it comes to pronunciation. More Yiddish lessons to come!
Leave a comment with your favorite slang word (any language Yiddish encouraged), why, it's origin etc.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

I am embarrassed to say I still use 'sike' (pshche)? from high school, ugh.

The wierd thing about yiddish is, I'm jewish and i almost never use any, but my non-jewish friends use it a lot (shmuck and shmutz and shmear the most common)- although I have been known to spout the occasional oy vey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home